Cherry Chipotle Ribs
1 Rack of pork spare ribs (use any ribs, just adjust cooking time as needed)
About 2 cups cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen)
2 Tbs Tomato paste
2 Tbs Vinegar
4-6 Dates, soaked for about an hour
1 Tbsp Teeny Tiny Spice Oaxacan Adobo
Salt to taste
1. Begin by cutting off any excess film around the ribs.
2. Turn on grill to medium heat (Please see notes for oven cooking).
3. Purée the cherries with tomato paste, dates, spice, vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Taste and adjust as needed.
4. Lightly coat the ribs in the paste, then wrap well, folding in the ends to create a foil bag around the ribs. Save remaining paste.
5. Place on grill over low heat for about 15 minutes, then flip carefully, taking caution as to not puncture the bag. Cook for another 15 minutes. Repeat process to cook for 1 hour in foil.
6. Open the bag, carefully, then place the ribs directly over low heat, brushing additional paste over the ribs, flipping every 5 minutes or so, continuing with the paste, until the temperature has reached about 190℉.
7. Serve with your favorite side dish.
*We made these specifically on the grill but a general spare rib recipe in the oven calls for ribs to be cooked about 3-4 hours at 275℉, in a large roasting pan covered with aluminum foil.