Savory Cheese Dates
Makes about 1 dozen
1 Dozen pitted dates
1 Dozen pecans, walnut halves, or almonds
1 C Cassava flour or white flour
1 C Finely shredded cheese
1/4 C Ghee or fat of choice
1/4 C Water
Pinch of salt
1 Tbs Rosemary, finely minced
1. Preheat your oven to 400℉.
2. If you're opting for spicy, add your nuts to a skillet with a tiny bit of cooking oil on medium heat. Sprinkle with a pinch of Perfection Spice Rub or WhoopAss and toast on low for a few minutes. If you're not adding spice, you can leave these un-toasted or toast without spice for a few moments for a nuttier flavor.
3. When nuts have cooled, stuff your dates each with a nut.
4. In a bowl, combine flour, rosemary, cheese, salt, and if using, Shepherd Herb Mix. A tablespoon at a time, add in the melted ghee or butter and water, mixing as you add them to form a dough that's slightly crumbly yet still holds together when you form it into a ball.
5. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Form each into a ball, then flatten. Fill each with a date and wrap the dough around each, working to cover any cracks and ensuring the thickness is even all around. Roll them between your hands to smooth.
4. Bake at 400℉ on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, flipping halfway through, for about 20 minutes. Serve warm, or slightly heat before serving.