Garam Masala Silken Chicken
For marinating the chicken:
4 Boned, skinned chicken breast halves
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Fresh lemon juice
1/4 C Heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp Ground, roasted cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Paprika
1 Clove Garlic, peeled and crushed to a pulp
1/2 tsp Ginger, peeled and finely grated
For sprinkling over the chicken prior to cooking:
Salt, as needed
Freshly ground black pepper
A sprinkling of Garam Masala
A little ground, roasted cumin seed
A little cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried mint flakes
Generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to its highest temperature and arrange a shelf in the top third of oven.
2. Cut 3 diagonal slits across top of each piece of chicken (not all the way through). Prick pieces with a sharp knife.
3. Place the pieces in a single layer in a dish.
4. Rub both sides with salt and lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, combine the cream with Garam Masala, cayenne, cumin seeds, paprika, garlic and ginger in a bowl.
6. Stir this mixture well and pour over chicken. Rub into the meat and leave for 10 minutes.
7. Lift chicken pieces up and place them in a single layer in a shallow baking pan lined with aluminum foil (or without the foil – it still works).
8. On top of each, sprinkle a little salt, black pepper, Garam Masala , roasted cumin seed, cayenne, dried mint and lemon juice. Put into top third of oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
9. Serve immediately, minted side up over rice or couscous or with a side vegetable or salad.
Note: Roasting cumin seeds is easy. Just heat a small sauté pan on the stovet op and drop the seeds in the pan. Keep stirring them until they begin to pop – they are done. It only takes a couple of minutes